This recipe has so many good memories for me, including many a Christmas dinner. As an adult, I’ve shifted to making this for New Year’s instead of Christmas, but I don’t know why I don’t make it more often. The leftovers are even better than the fresh curry.
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 4 hours (intermittently active)
2 lbs chicken pieces (thighs work well)
8 cloves of garlic
1 in ginger
2 medium tomatoes
1/2 cup yogurt
1/4 cup ghee/coconut oil
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp turmeric
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp coriander
2 tsp red pepper
2 tsp salt
2 tbsp poppy seeds
- Take two onions and slice finely
- Take remaining two onions, garlic, ginger, and spices and mix in food processor or blender to a paste. Add water sparingly if necessary.
- Add oil to heavy-bottomed sauce pan and fry sliced onions on med-high heat for 3-5 minutes until they become soft.
- Add onion/spice mixture and fry for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add chicken and cover. Reduce heat to medium. Make sure to stir frequently so that sauces does not burn on the bottom.
- After two hours add tomatoes.
- Just before serving add yogurt.